HOOSICK FALLS, N.Y. (AP) — A man who helped uncover drinking water contamination in an upstate New York village has given an emotional account of his father's death from cancer.
The contamination in Hoosick Falls was revealed in 2014 by lab tests paid for by Michael Hickey, who was looking for answers after his father died of kidney cancer. Hickey's voice cracked several times Tuesday as he told state lawmakers about his experience.
Top officials in Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo's administration are expected to face questions from lawmakers later Tuesday regarding the state's response to drinking water contamination in the village.
Also scheduled to testify are residents who have accused the administration of taking too long to warn people their water was contaminated with PFOA, a toxic chemical used in making Teflon and similar materials.