As an alternative to noxious gasses or carbon-producing thermal techniques, Radio Frequency Co.’s new Macrowave™ Pasteurization System uses a high-frequency electric field proven to effectively control pathogens. According to the company:
- Utilizing clean electrical energy from the grid, the material to be treated is conveyed through a high-frequency electrode array where the alternating electrical energy causes the material to heat rapidly and uniformly throughout the product thickness.
- Radio Frequency (RF) heating is a highly efficient, "direct" form of heating such that no energy is wasted heating large volumes of air or preheating the system itself.
- The technology is "instant-on, instant-off" using energy only during the treatment process.
- Systems operate at 40MHz where the depth of penetration and uniformity of heating are optimized, thereby ensuring effective microbe kill and avoiding the deleterious effects on product quality from prolonged exposure to high temperatures.
- These systems are available in conveyorized or batch configurations.