It's #NationalEatYourVegetablesDay and, naturally, this food holiday is a trending topic on Twitter this morning.
Tomorrow is the most important day of the year... if you're a vegetable. Don't forget to celebrate #VeggieDay with us.— SUBWAY® (@SUBWAY) June 16, 2015
No, pizza is not a vegetable. But spinach, mushrooms & peppers are! YOUR PIZZA IS PRACTICALLY A SALAD NOW. #NationalEatYourVegetablesDay— Domino's Pizza (@dominos) June 17, 2015
So in recognition of this mean, green food holiday, I thought it would be the perfect chance to read up on some fun veggie facts. Crunch on this:
- Oregon adults rank the highest in vegetable consumption.
- While the potato gets lots of love (at least in my family), it's actually only the fourth most-produced crop in the world. Before it comes maize, rice and wheat.
- Potatoes are the most-eaten vegetable in the U.S. Next comes tomatoes, sweet corn, onions, lettuce (leaf and romaine) and cucumbers.
- No matter which way you slice and dice it, watermelons are actually a vegetable.The watermelon is traced back to the squash, pumpkin and cucumber family known as Cucurbitaceae. But don't worry, it's still a fruit, too.
- And since we are on the topic of watermelons, did you know Japan has some shaped like cubes...and hearts.