Massimo Zanetti Beverage USA was one of seven Virginia food and beverage manufacturers featured in the cover story in the January/February 2017 issue of Food Manufacturing that focused on that state’s thriving food and beverage sector. Here’s a closer look at one of North America’s largest coffee makers.
As one of the largest coffee roasters in North America, Massimo Zanetti Beverage USA (MZB-USA) provides coffee expertise from seed to cup, offering a range of solutions from single origins to unique blends — in an array of innovative packaging options for the home, office and foodservice.
Owned by Massimo Zanetti Beverage Group (MZB Group) in Treviso, Italy, the company’s North American headquarters was born from an Italian heritage spanning four generations of coffee expertise. Much of the company’s coffee is grown, sourced, milled, processed, exported and traded through MZB Group, or alliances with the Zanetti family.
Because of this full integration, MZB-USA is a single resource delivering innovative solutions like no other. Its portfolio consists of quality products
ranging from super-premium packaged coffees to trusted iconic brands that boast a longstanding tradition of great taste.
As one of the largest coffee roasters in the country, MZB-USA partners to produce a wide range of coffees for some of the biggest retailers, as well as convenience store and coffeehouse chains in North America.
With a state-of-the art roasting facility in Suffolk, Virginia, an average of more than 20,000 pounds of coffee is ground per hour, with packaging capabilities that include bricks, bags, jars, cans and more. The newest packaging line has been engineered to produce 100 percent compostable single-serve coffee pods — certified by the Biodegradable Products Institute to break down in composting facilities in less than 100 days. The company also produces organic, Fair Trade, Rainforest Alliance and Utz certified coffees.
The company also owns the Kauai Coffee Company and, with more than 4 million coffee trees grown on 3,100 acres, Kauai Coffee is Hawaii’s largest
At Massimo Zanetti Beverage, all they do is coffee — it’s their way of life, from planting, harvesting and roasting, to cupping, packaging, marketing and
Massimo Zanetti Beverage USA at a Glance
Massimo Zanetti Beverage USA (MZB-USA) is owned by global coffee leader Massimo Zanetti Beverage Group (MZB Group) in Treviso, Italy.
Headquarters: Suffolk, Virginia
Sales, Marketing, Customer Service & Main Distribution Center: Portsmouth, Virginia
Coffee Away From Home Center for Excellence & Roasting Facility: Moonachie, New Jersey
3,100-acre coffee estate: Kauai Coffee Company, Kauai, Hawaii
Massimo Zanetti Beverage USA at a Glance
- One of the largest producers of private brand coffees in the United States.
- Retail brands include Chock full o'Nuts, Kauai Coffee, MJB, Chase & Sanborn, Hills Bros. Coffee and Hills Bros. Cappuccino and Hot Chocolate.
- MZB-USA Away From Home division includes global brands Segafredo Zanetti coffee and espresso, professional barista equipment and single-serve coffee brewers designed and manufactured by sister company La San Marco, and Brodies Scottish Teas for foodservice and the workplace.
- Franchises a network of Segafredo Zanetti Espresso Cafés that models the essence of Italian culture by delivering an authentic Italian espresso experience with every cup of espresso it serves.
- Produces a wide range of coffees for some of the nation’s biggest retailers, convenience stores and quick-serve chains.
- Massimo Zanetti Beverage Group purchases Sara Lee's coffee roasting facility in Suffolk, Virginia and forms its North American headquarters — Massimo Zanetti Beverage USA.
- Massimo Zanetti Beverage USA purchases Kauai Coffee Company, making the company fully integrated from farm to cup.
- Massimo Zanetti Beverage USA purchases Sara Lee's foodservice coffee roasting facility in Moonachie, New Jersey for its flexible packaging lines and to expand its capabilities in the Away From Home coffee sector.
- Massimo Zanetti Beverage Group goes public on the Italian Stock Exchange in Milan, Italy.
- MZB-USA acquires a minority equity stake in Club Coffee of Toronto — together introducing the world’s first certified 100% compostable single-serve hot beverage technology.
- In 2013, MZB-USA and sister company La San Marco, with equipment manufacturers across the globe partner to develop new packaging technology for La San Marco's new single-serve brewer for the workplace.
- On Earth Day 2016, MZB-USA launched the world's first 100% compostable single-serve coffee pods, PURPOD100, which are certified by the Biodegradable Products Institute to break down in industrial composting facilities in less than 100 days.
- In 2017, MZB-USA partnered with JavaCycle to divert coffee chaff waste from landfills — repurposing the castoff byproduct from the coffee roasting process into a beneficial garden fertilizer that is now sold to consumers.
- In April 2017, MZB-USA received the Governor's Environmental Excellence award for significant achievements in sustainable manufacturing practices and leadership within the CPG sector. The award was presented by the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality.
Sustainable Farming Practices & Corporate Social Responsibility
- MZB-USA is at the forefront of addressing the waste issue associated with single-serve coffee, actively engaging consumers about the benefits of coffee composting and working with municipalities to open more facilities nationwide.
- The Kauai Coffee Company also leads in water conservation by recycling and reusing water in three stages of the coffee production process: (1) hydro-electricity for the entire operation; (2) wet milling; and (3) drip irrigation. The Kauai Coffee farm utilizes the largest drip irrigation system used for coffee in the world
- While sustainability is inherent in its business, MZB Group and MZB-USA are devoted to all aspects of Corporate Social Responsibility, including promoting safe and fair farming practices around the globe.
- The Zanetti Foundation focuses on helping disadvantaged children in coffee-growing regions and other communities around the globe by providing healthcare, education, arts programs and more. It was recently awarded the prestigious Friars Club Icon Award for Philanthropy for the work it does to help children in need worldwide.
— Source: Massimo Zanetti Beverage USA