NASHUA, NH — New Hampshire firefighters say nitric acid leaked from a package at a UPS distribution center, sending seven people to the hospital for minor respiratory problems and forcing the building to be evacuated.
Firefighters and hazardous material crews responded Tuesday to the center after the leak was reported about 7 a.m.
Nashua Fire Recue Chief Steven Galipeau says the nitric acid, commonly used in the making of fertilizers, was leaking from a package. He told The Telegraph of Nashua "it's perfectly safe to ship. Accidents happen."
Workers later returned to the building.
The New Hampshire State Fire Marshal's Office and the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration are investigating.