Clair D. Thompson & Sons, Inc. Recalls Ground Beef Products

Clair D. Thompson & Sons, Inc. is recalling 700 pounds of ground beef products that may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service announced Wednesday.

Mnet 154679 Recall 800 Wide

WASHINGTON, Oct. 4, 2017 (USDA FSIS release) — Clair D. Thompson & Sons, Inc., a Jersey Shore, Pennsylvania, establishment, is recalling approximately 700 pounds of ground beef products that may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced Wednesday.

The ground beef items were produced and packaged on Sept. 27 - 28, 2017 and Oct. 2, 2017. The following products are subject to recall:

  • 5-lb. plastic bags of “Thompson’s GROUND BEEF.”
  • 10-lb. plastic bags of “Thompson’s GROUND BEEF.”

The products subject to recall bear establishment number “EST. 9681” inside the USDA mark of inspection. These items were shipped to institutions in New York and Pennsylvania.

The problem was discovered on Oct. 2, 2017 when the firm notified FSIS that the firm’s sample of ground beef had tested positive for E. coli O157:H7 by a third party lab. There have been no confirmed reports of adverse reactions due to consumption of these products.

E. coli O157:H7 is a potentially deadly bacterium that can cause dehydration, bloody diarrhea and abdominal cramps 2–8 days (3–4 days, on average) after exposure the organism. While most people recover within a week, some develop a type of kidney failure called hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS). This condition can occur among persons of any age but is most common in children under 5-years old and older adults. It is marked by easy bruising, pallor, and decreased urine output. Persons who experience these symptoms should seek emergency medical care immediately.

FSIS and the company are concerned that some product may be frozen and in consumers' freezers.

Consumers who have purchased these products are urged not to consume them. These products should be thrown away or returned to the place of purchase.

More in Safety