SEATTLE (PRNewswire) — Today, restaurant discovery app Urbanspoon released its annual list of Cheap Eats, featuring restaurants across North America where diners can snag the best meal for a great deal. The list boasts eateries serving usual low fare suspects such as burgers, sandwiches, hot dogs and street food. This year, restaurateurs are stepping up their game, bringing patrons well-done classics, and putting a twist on old favorites. Teriyaki and Nori sound a bit too 'haute cuisine' for your hot dog? Don't knock it 'til you try it!
Urbanspoon's Top American Eateries for Cheap Eats:
- Brick Store Pub: This popular gastro pub is known for its eclectic dishes like pierogi primavera and Bavarian pretzels.
- Rico's World Kitchen: Don't miss this international southern joint's famous fried green tomatoes.
- Fellini's Pizza: Customers go crazy for the pizza and wings at this Southern pizzeria.
- Taqueria Del Sol: Taqueria diners agree that the restaurant's steelhead salmon sashimi is a must-have.
- Papi's Cuban & Caribbean Grill: The Cuban mojito is one of the most popular orders at this Cuban and Caribbean grill.
- Hutt's Hamburgers: Diners rave about Hutt's all-American Buddy Holly burger.
- Chuy's: Chuy's is famous for their chile rellenos, stuffed and fried poblano peppers that are sure to delight.
- Magnolia Cafe : This Tex-Mex diner features its namesake Mag Mud, a creamy dip complete with black beans, queso, avocado, and pico de gallo – all served with chips and hot sauce.
- Round Rock Donuts: Take a cue from the locals and order the Texas-sized Round Rock donut.
- Mike's Pastry: The cannoli is the most popular dessert at this bakery.
- Flour Bakery + Cafe: Diners can't get enough of Flour's sticky buns.
- Blue Ribbon BBQ: Foodies love the pulled pork sammich from this BBQ joint.
- Modern Pastry: You can't go wrong with the almond biscotti.
- Cabot's Ice Cream & Restaurant: Don't miss the delicious Belgian waffles topped with fresh fruit.
- Portillo's Hot Dogs: The Italian beef dish comes highly recommended from Portillo regulars.
- Hot Doug's: You can't go wrong with any of the hot dogs at Doug's, but try the duck fat fries for something extra special.
- Gene & Jude's Red Hot Stand: Gene & Jude's does a classic Chicago-style hot dog, but is best known for its double dog – two hot dogs in one bun.
- Paradise Pup: People line up for Merkt's cheddar cheese burger and cheddar cheese fries.
- Fuzzy's Taco Shop: Diners recommend stopping here in the early hours to try the breakfast taco.
- Chiloso Mexican Bistro: The favorite dish at this Mexican bistro is the grilled avocado with barbacoa.
- Chuy's: Go big or go home with Chuy's famous "Big As Yo' Face" burrito; it is Texas after all!
Las Vegas, NV
- In-N-Out Burger: What is there to say about In-n-Out that hasn't already been said? Out-of-towners should request their burger and fries "animal style," which comes with pickles, extra spread, grilled onions, and mustard.
- The Cracked Egg: Chicken fried steak with eggs is one of the most popular dishes at this breakfast spot.
- Egg Works: Diners rave about Egg Works' country benny, buttermilk biscuits grilled and topped with sausage, two eggs and homemade sausage gravy.
Los Angeles, CA
- Porto's Bakery & Cafe: Get a taste of both sweet and savory with favorites like the fruit tart and potato ball.
- Bay Cities Italian Deli & Bakery: This deli's signature dish is the Godmother, which includes prosciutto, ham, capicola, mortadella, Genoa salami and provolone cheese.
- Diddy Riese Cookies: Known for their fresh-baked cookies and ice cream, locals order the best of both worlds – an ice cream sandwich made with Diddy Riese cookies.
New York, NY
- Shake Shack: It's no surprise that the Shake Shack's most popular dish is the Shack stack – a cheeseburger with mushrooms and shack sauce.
- Pommes Frites: What better a side dish to accompany a European-inspired meal than Belgian fries – the most popular item on this menu.
- S'Mac: The four-cheese nosh is this restaurant's most popular choice. This macaroni and cheese dish includes a blend of multiple cheeses and is then baked to perfection.
- Burger Joint: Any burger-lover understands the genius that is a cheeseburger. Burger Joint's take on the classic cheeseburger is this restaurant's most sought-after eat.
- Tin Shed Garden Cafe: The Benni Hill eggs benedict is this restaurant's most well-loved breakfast and brunch menu item.
- Petite Provence: Known for their delicious sandwiches, locals also frequent this French bakery for its delectable croissants.
- Jam on Hawthorne: Most diners frequent Jam for its Bloody Marys – the perfect cocktails to wash down a delicious breakfast feast.
- Pine State Biscuits: This restaurant knows biscuits. Its most popular dish is the McIsley, a fried chicken sandwich with pickles, mustard and honey in between a flaky, house-made biscuit.
San Francisco/Bay Area, CA
- Cheese Board Pizza: The Margherita pizza is a popular choice among Berkeley diners, although it's safe to say any pizza choice is going to be a good one.
- Arizmendi: Desserts are sought after at Arizmendi, and its currant, oat, and corn cherry scones are a typical choice.
- Picante: This Mexican joint specializes in fish tacos, and diners don't mind traveling far and wide to order them.
- Paseo: Locals visit this spot for the Caribbean roast sandwich, which comes with onions and lettuce on a soft roll.
- Bakery Nouveau: Sugar addicts everywhere can't get enough of the Nouveau's twice-baked almond croissant.
- Red Mill Burgers: The verde burger with roasted Anaheim peppers, jack cheese, and mill sauce is a popular dish at Red Mill.
- Salumi: The lamb prosciutto is a diner favorite at Salumi.
- Honey Hole Sandwiches: Everyone loves the Gooch, a tri-tip beef sandwich with a side of au jus on a demi baguette.
Urbanspoon's Top Canadian Eateries for Cheap Eats:
- Holy Smoke BBQ: A real BBQ joint knows the importance of a pulled pork sandwich, and people travel from all over for Holy Smoke's version.
- Boogie's Burgers: Shaun's burger is a top order at this restaurant, which is often paired with a milkshake for a perfect meal.
- Peters' Drive-In: No burger or hot dog at this drive-in goes without the most popular order: its famous onion rings.
- Salad King: You can't visit this salad spot without ordering its popular mango salad or Thai Islamic noodles – both highly requested dishes.
- Banh Mi Boys: The braised pork belly banh mi sandwich is, without argument, the most popular dish at this Asian stop.
- Guu Sakabar: Don't leave this restaurant before trying the magu ta-ta seared tuna dish. This Japanese fusion restaurant gets its seafood combo just right.
- Japadog: The beef Terimayo dog is this stand's most popular eat, which is topped with fried onions, Japanese mayo and seaweed.
- Guu Garlic: Locals love the ebi-mayo: deep-fried prawns with chili garlic mayo and a hint of cilantro.
- Kintaro Ramen: If you're craving ramen, the Shoyu ramen with bean sprouts, menma, nori and BBQ pork is the best choice here.
- Sushi Nanaimo: While an eclectic choice, diners can't get enough of the sushi pizza.
- Fairmount Bagel: This popular bagel pit stop is known for its "all-dressed" and sesame creations.
- St-Viateur Bagel: Folks frequent St-Viateur for the rosemary bagels, but your hardest choice will be the handful of cream cheese options available.
Whether you're grabbing a sweet treat in Boston, a hot dog in Chicago, or street food in Toronto, Urbanspoon is your place to find the best Cheap Eats in any city you find yourself hungry and looking to eat well on a budget. View the full list with photos here: http://www.urbanspoon.com/blog/?p=11177
Urbanspoon is a leading restaurant discovery app that aggregates reviews from professional food critics, bloggers, and local diners to help people everywhere decide where and what to eat. Available on the web and through its popular iPhone, Android, and Windows applications, Urbanspoon provides reviews for restaurants throughout the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand. Urbanspoon is an operating business of IAC (NASDAQ: IACI). For more information, visit www.urbanspoon.com.