Valves, couplings, pumps and associated oil and gas drilling components can be protected using a black oxide coating. The TRU TEMP® low temperature black oxide process from Birchwood Casey Metal Finishes is a safe, simple method for applying a high quality black oxide finish on many types of equipment, protecting critical surfaces against corrosion while offering break-in lubricity and anti-galling protection. TRU TEMP:
- Solutions contain no EPA regulated chemicals, so there is usually no need for waste treatment equipment.
- Rinse waters are sewerable as non-hazardous discharge.
- Finish does not change critical dimensions.
- Coating enhances overall appearance quality and sales appeal.
- Finish is just 0.5 microns thick (20 millionths) with no effect on material hardness or load-bearing properties.
- Finish withstands 100-200 hours of neutral salt spray (ASTM B 117) or several hundred hours of humidity (ASTM D 1748).
- Solution operates at only 200°F and uses mild alkaline chemistry that does not embrittle the steel.
- Processing time is just 25 minutes.