Brazil Judge Dismisses Case Against Chevron

Federal prosecutors had been seeking about $20 billion in damages for an estimated 110,000 gallons (416,300 liters) of crude that seeped into the ocean near the Chevron well in November 2011. The prosecutor's office said it had no immediate comment on the ruling announced late Monday.

SAO PAULO (AP) -- A federal judge in Brazil has dismissed a civil lawsuit against Chevron Corp. and driller Transocean Ltd. in connection with a 2011 oil spill off the coast of Rio de Janeiro.

Federal prosecutors had been seeking about $20 billion in damages for an estimated 110,000 gallons (416,300 liters) of crude that seeped into the ocean near the Chevron well in November 2011.

The prosecutor's office said it had no immediate comment on the ruling announced late Monday.

Federal judge Raffaele Felice Pirro dismissed the case after Chevron agreed to pay the equivalent of about $150 million in "compensatory activities." He said Transocean had no responsibility for the spill.

A federal court earlier dismissed criminal charges filed against Chevron and Transocean Ltd. and several of their executives because of the spill.

More in Energy