At Least 24 In Colorado Suffer Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

At least 24 people were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning at a weekend gathering in northern Colorado after a generator at a taco stand outside the venue leaked exhaust into the building.

Mnet 156368 Warning Sign Pixabay Commons

At least 24 people were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning at a weekend gathering in northern Colorado after a generator at a taco stand outside the venue leaked exhaust into the building.

Greeley Police Lt. Aaron Carmichael told the Greeley Tribune people who suffered symptoms Saturday night could not walk, some had seizures, and some lost consciousness. Common carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms include headaches, dizziness, nausea, weakness, and confusion.

The Greeley Fire Department determined the people had carbon monoxide poisoning.

Fire Lt. Greg Cobb said six ambulances responded and 24 men, women, and children were taken to the hospital. Three were evaluated at the scene and declined transportation to the hospital. Others may have been driven in private vehicles, Cobb said Monday.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends against using generators within 20 feet (6 meters) of any building windows, doors or vents.

Cobb said it was unclear why the generator was near the building when the food vendor's truck was in the parking lot.

(Source: Associated Press)

More in Chemical Processing