Maintenance Worker Loses Consciousness in 10-Foot Pit

He was overcome by argon gas.

A maintenance worker at an AMCOR food packaging manufacturing plant in Iowa has been hospitalized after losing consciousness due to argon exposure.

The 40-year-old man was working in a 10-foot-deep pit at 8 a.m. when he was overcome by argon gas, according to the Des Moines Register

After he passed out, he fell and suffered a laceration when his head struck a ladder.

Before emergency personnel arrived, the company pumped fresh air into the pit, per in-house safety protocols. 

Argon, which is used in welding, is a non-toxic gas that can asphyxiate people by displacing oxygen. 

The worker woke up after EMTs arrived and was able to climb out of the pit on his own. Still, he was transported to the hospital to treat his injuries. 

The local sheriff says the company helped the worker a lot by pumping clean air into the pit. 

AMCOR develops and manufactures packaging for food, beverage, pharmaceutical, medical and other products.

More in Video