PARIS (AP) -- Hundreds of angry Renault workers and other protesters stormed a Paris car show Friday to register their discontent about expected job cuts at the French automaker and restructuring in the industry.
Blaring horns and setting off firecrackers, the demonstrators showered union leaflets on prototype cars and unfurled banners as police kept watch at the Mondial de l'Automobile auto show.
Renault management last month announced 6,000 job cuts in Europe -- or about five percent of its total work force -- in hopes of keeping the automaker competitive and ensuring its long-term development.
Renault workers led the protest, which also included employees of French auto parts maker Valeo, U.S. car maker Ford, French tire maker Michelin, and domestic Renault rival Citroen.
Protesters said some 5,000 people took part, though police put the number at around 2,400.
Separately Friday, Renault SA said it had named Patrick Pelata as chief operating officer, a newly created position aimed to help boost its operational capabilities.
Pelata, 53, will keep his previous responsibilities as leader of Renault's European management committee.
In July, Renault reported a 37-percent increase in six-month net profit but said it's falling behind sales targets. The company has said it plans to ease back on output to adjust for expected lower sales and economic slowdown.