By all accounts Sabra Dipping Co. — a joint venture between PepsiCo Inc. and the Israeli Strauss Group Ltd — has been having a good year in the U.S. The company is currently the leading hummus manufacturer in the United States, claiming approximately 60 percent of the market, according to the market research firm Information Resources, Inc. They also recently announced an $86 million expansion to their Richmond plant to meet new demand, and have been cultivating efforts to create a supply of chickpeas in the U.S.
However, today marks some bad news for the company. This morning the company announced a recall of approximately 30,000 cases of Sabra hummus nationwide due to listeria concerns. The recalled products include the following Sabra products:
- Sabra Classic Hummus in 10-ounce sizes with UPC/SKU 040822011143 / 300067
- Sabra Classic Hummus in 30-ounce sizes with UPC/SKU 040822014687 / 300074
- Sabra Classic Hummus without Garnish in 32 ounce sizes with UPC/SKU 040822342049 / 301216
- Sabra Classic Hummus in 17-ounce six-packs with UPC/SKU 040822017497 / 301290
- Hummus Dual Pack Classic/Garlic 23.5 ounce with UPC/SKU 040822342209 / 301283