NEW YORK (Business Wire) — From fresher frozen meals to food trucks for dogs, consumers can expect to see a variety of interesting trends to tickle the tummy in 2013. Nestlé, the world’s leading nutrition, health and wellness company, today issued some predictions destined to please the palates of all family members, including pets.
Nestlé expects the following domestic trends to gain traction among U.S. consumers next year:
- Make It Where You Sell It. Food companies will invest more money in regional production of frozen and prepared foods to ensure freshness and convenience for their customers.
- Soda Goes Flat. Bottled water is poised to take more market share away from carbonated soft drinks. Expect bottled water to outsell soda in grocery stores of many major U.S. markets.
- All About the Kids. The emphasis on better health and nutrition filters down to the youngest consumers. Recent data show that children’s eating patterns are fully formed by age two, so starting them off on the right path is crucial.
- Pull Over For Pups. As the culinary world embraces pop-up eateries, food trucks for dogs will also gain popularity as a way for owners to show love for their pets during mealtime.
- Comfort Food Grows Up. Look for new, simple twists on childhood favorites, which will be further deconstructed, modernized and signaturized with specialty ingredients and interesting presentations.
- Changing Faces, Changing Tastes. With more than 85 percent of the U.S. population growth coming from multicultural segments, food companies will concentrate on connecting with consumers’ ethnicity.
- Veggies in Vogue. As food companies continue to make progress in increasing the nutritional value of food, vegetables will champion the main course.
“It’s clear to us that consumers are much more health conscious today than ever before,” noted Paul Grimwood, Chairman and CEO of Nestlé USA. “At the same time, that doesn’t mean people have to sacrifice taste or pleasure. At Nestlé, we operate the largest research and development network of any food company in the world and we are always striving to find new and innovative ways to help consumers lead healthier and more enjoyable lives.”
These trends were compiled across Nestlé in the United States, which consists of five main businesses: Nestlé USA, Nestlé Purina PetCare Company, Nestlé Waters North America, Nestlé Nutrition and Nestlé Professional. In 2011, U.S. sales totaled $24 billion and the company now boasts seven billion-dollar brands in the United States. Nestlé is committed to being a company centered on nutrition, health and wellness by providing nutritious and healthy food for all members of the family at every stage of life.
About Nestlé in the United States
Nestlé in the United States consists of five main businesses: Nestlé USA, Nestlé Purina PetCare Company, Nestlé Waters North America, Nestlé Nutrition and Nestlé Professional. Together, these companies operate in more than 120 locations in 47 states and employ more than 51,000 people. The United States is Nestlé S.A.’s largest market with combined product sales in the United States totaling more than $24 billion in 2011.
Committed to becoming the very best Nutrition, Health and Wellness company, Nestlé in the United States provides nutritious, healthy food for every member of the family at every stage of life: infants and toddlers, families, athletes, mature adults/grandparents and pets. Key brands include LEAN CUISINE®, STOUFFER’S®, DIGIORNO®, FRISKIES®, COFFEE-MATE®, NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE®, POWERBAR®, NESTLÉ® PURE LIFE®, POLAND SPRING®, GERBER® and PURINA ONE®.