imX Learning Labs to Provide Guidance, Foster Partnerships for the Future of ManufacturingInnovative industry event encourages and facilitates collaboration among competitors
LAS VEGAS — April 28, 2011 — Manufacturers from across the country will participate in a one-of-a-kind series of "Learning Labs" this fall as part of the Interactive Manufacturing Experience (imX). The event features an unprecedented industry summit to chart a new course for the domestic manufacturing industry. Announced today by the imX executive committee, the event's Learning Labs will showcase industry expertise and foster collaborative learning to propel the U.S. manufacturing industry forward. Learning Labs will demonstrate technical knowledge from each of the eight imX eXperience partners leading the charge to create this industry-defining event, Sept. 12-14 in Las Vegas.
Presenting Learning Labs at imX will be eXperience partners DMG/Mori Seiki U.S.A., FANUC, Kennametal, MAG IAS LLC, Makino, Methods Machine Tools, Okuma America and Sandvik Coromant.
Important manufacturing industry trends and topics addressed in the imX Learning Labs will include:
- cost minimization,
- cryogenic super cooling technology applications in the automotive and aerospace sectors,
- fully integrated automation solutions,
- green manufacturing techniques,
- information flow and shop floor networking,
- machine investment planning,
- the manufacturing ecosystem,
- material evolution toward exotic alloys,
- metal cutting,
- micromachining technologies,
- new technology in titanium milling,
- process and production planning,
- production on demand (LEAN technology "pull systems"),
- productivity and quality enhancements in mining and construction machinery components,
- retaining a skilled workforce,
- tooling trends and tooling technology.
"The imX Learning Labs will showcase our eXperience partners' manufacturing innovations and allow for the open flow of information, even among competitors, that will be crucial to the future of manufacturing," said Steve Prahalis, experience manager, imX. "Industry response so far has been overwhelmingly positive. To date, more than 1,000 high-level executives from 40 states have applied to take part in imX."
Learning Labs — located right on the imX event floor — will allow attendees to increase their knowledge of new manufacturing technologies and processes through practical, hands-on demonstrations. From a collaborative standpoint, competing suppliers with similar product lines will be located near each other, so attendees can easily compare all the options available to meet their needs.
imX is jointly presented by leading industry associations the American Machine Tool Distributors' Association (AMTDA) and the Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME).
"Some of the country's most innovative manufacturers have signed on to share their successes with the industry," said Mark Tomlinson, SME executive director/CEO. "These Learning Labs are a significant step toward the future of manufacturing, a future that will feature increased collaboration among players large and small."
"Sharing technology, processes and ideas is vital to the sustainability of manufacturing," said Peter Borden, AMTDA president. "imX will be a catalyst in opening the eyes of our nation to the innovation and economic driver that is American manufacturing."
The imX Learning Labs agenda includes the following:
- "Communication & Connectivity" presented by DMG/Mori Seiki U.S.A.
- "Delivering Productivity from Art to Part:" presented by Kennametal
- "eXtreme Productivity Enhancements with Cryogenic Super Cooling (minus 321F) Through-the-Tool Technology:" presented by MAG IAS LLC
- "From Megatrends to Solutions:; Turning Change into Opportunity." presented by Kennametal
- "Micromachining/Ultra Precision Feature Technology." presented by Makino
- "The Pinnacle of Productivity:" presented by FANUC
- "Planning, Processing, Tooling & ROI:" presented by Sandvik Coromant
- "Production on Demand:" presented by Methods Machine Tools
- "Production Technology for eXtreme Sized Industrial, Mining and Construction Machinery Components," presented by MAG IAS LLC
- "TIME for Productivity — THINC Intelligent Manufacturing Ecosystem:" presented by Okuma America
- "Titanium Machining — 4 Times the Productivity, Double the Tool Life:" presented by Makino
The EventAt imX, the manufacturing industry will, for the first time, come together not as competitors but as collaborators with a common goal and focus of long-term industry viability. Participants will meet to discuss and foster an understanding of the challenges and opportunities facing their customers, their competition and the latest manufacturing technologies.
The invitation-only event is expected to draw 9,000 manufacturing leaders, top suppliers and high-level, qualified U.S. buyers to the Las Vegas Convention Center in Las Vegas.
Dozens of eXhibit Partners already have committed to joining the conversation and to demonstrating their own manufacturing innovations at imX, among them: Allied Machine & Eng Corp, Automated Precision, Balluf Inc, Big Kaiser, Blum LMT, Briney Tooling Systems, Busche Workholding, Carl Zeiss IMT, Caron Engineering, Castrol Industrial, CGTech, Chiron America Inc, Cimcool Industrial Products, dataZen Engineering, Delcam, Epicor Software, ERI America, ERIEZ Hydroflow, Esprit/DP Technology, Exsys Tool, Fastems, GTR mbH, Haimer USA, Hangsterfers Lab, Heimatec GmbH, Hermle Machine Co., Hexagon Metrology, HORN USA, Huot Mfg, Hurco Companies, Index Corp, Innovative Workholding Alliance, Ion Quality Systems, Jauch Schmider GmbH, Iscar Metals Inc, Kitigawa-Northtech Inc, Koma Precision, Kuka Robotics, Losma, Marubeni Citizen-Cincom, MasterCAM, MD Tooling, Midaco Corp, Mitsui Seiki, MP Systems, Okamoto Corp, Pat Mooney Inc, Precision Dormer, REGO-FIX, REM Sales, RobbJack Corp/Crystallume, Royal Products, Schunk, Seco Tools, Selway Machine Tool Inc, SNK America, SpaceClaim Corp, StarragHeckert, Stratasys, Surfware, System 3R, TDM Systems, TE-CO, Unisig, United Grinding Tech, Von Ruden Mfg, WTO Inc, Yamazen Inc, Zoller.