MUNICH, Germany (AP) -- The trial of the first Siemens AG ex-manager accused of embezzling millions of euros (dollars) is to open next month in the high-profile corruption scandal that rocked the company last year, a Munich court said Wednesday.
The trial of the 58-year-old former top-level sales manager at Siemens telecoms division is slated to begin May 26, a Munich state court said. The man, whose identity was not immediately released, faces charges of defrauding the company of more than euro24 million (US$38 million) over the course of several years.
Prosecutors also charged Wednesday that some of the money was also used as bribes to win new contracts.
Siemens is being investigated in Switzerland, Italy and Greece over allegations of bribery and corruption at its communications group. The company is also being investigated in China, Hungary, Israel, Russia, Norway and Indonesia.
Investigators are probing allegations that employees of Siemens, whose offerings range from communications networks to trams, paid hundreds of millions of euros (dollars) in bribes to land telecom deals.