The Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) has announced the launch of a new Certified Food Scientist (CFS) program. Through the program, food scientists will help employers identify, hire and retain the best talent. The program will also:
- Demonstrate the profession's commitment to safe and quality food for consumers
- Reinforce IFT's commitment to ensuring a strong talent pipeline
- Promote lifelong learning to complement both academic learning and work experience
- Generate greater awareness of the food science profession
- Build a foundation for ethical standards that will benefit the profession
The International Food Science Certification Commission (IFSCC), a new independent, third-party certification body within IFT will oversee the testing, governance and policymaking of the program. To become a Certified Food Scientist, a professional must complete an application and meet certain eligibility requirements, as well as complete an exam.