Qualcomm’s New Cost-Effective Solution Will Help Fleets of All Sizes Meet Safety and Compliance Requirements
– March 13, 2011 – Qualcomm Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM), a leading provider of integrated wireless systems, applications and services to transportation and logistics companies, today announced the Mobile Computing Platform 50 (MCP50), which delivers Qualcomm’s industry-leading applications and is designed to help transportation companies manage fleet safety and regulatory compliance proactively and cost effectively. The MCP50, offers flexible pricing plans that bundle key applications to solve specific business needs, and it is slated for commercial availability in the fall.
The MCP50 will deliver applications and features to help fleets proactively monitor and manage compliance, while also reducing costs associated with fleet safety and operations. To improve fleet management, the solution includes:
• Hours of Service, an FMCSA-compliant electronic on-board recording system (EOBR);
• CSA Safety Performance Service to help fleets manage their performance under FMCSA’s new SMS scoring methodology;
• Critical Event Reporting with dashboards to track and improve driving performance;
• On-board navigation offers increased productivity, cost savings and enhanced driver satisfaction;
• Analytics Manager delivers actionable information on operational performance in easy-to-use dashboards, graphs and tables to enable timelier and more informed business decisions; and
• Vehicle location tracking to improve efficient fleet operations
The MCP50 will offer fleets flexible pricing plans, enabling them to cost-effectively adopt the applications most critical to their operational needs. The Basic, Compliance, Safety and Compliance and Premium Plans offer transportation companies a choice of bundled applications. Additional applications will be available for those fleets with more extensive needs.
“Fleets that may not have previously adopted mobile information technology are now recognizing the value these systems provide in efficiently managing safety and regulatory compliance,” said Norm Ellis, vice president of sales, services and marketing for Qualcomm Enterprise Services. “When implementing a cost-effective system such as the MCP50, these fleets will realize the variety of additional benefits, including improved asset management, timely and reliable two-way information sharing, improved fuel efficiency and truck-specific navigation.”
According to a US Department of Transportation-funded study by the Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation (PIRE), the average cost of medium and heavy truck crashes is more than $90,000. With new regulations increasingly focused on commercial vehicle safety and driver distraction, trucking companies are seeking new tools to improve safety compliance and avoid excessive crash costs. A key feature of the MCP50 that improves safety compliance is Qualcomm’s innovative In-Motion User Interface (IMUI), which helps minimize driver distraction by restricting the visual displays that drivers can see while the vehicle is in motion. Based on the driver’s log-in status, the IMUI disables the ability to type or read messages when the vehicle is in motion. The MCP50 also incorporates a text-to-speech feature so drivers can receive and listen to messages without having to pull off the road. All applications are integrated so the system will automatically display the application with the most time-sensitive information to the driver in the least distractive way.
Easy for fleets to adopt, the MCP50 is simple to install and has intuitive back-end functionality. While the MCP50 sets a new standard for value, it uses the same premium web-based software applications developed in collaboration with North America’s leading motor carriers. To learn more about the MCP50, visit mcp50.qualcomm.com
About Qualcomm Enterprise Services
Since 1988, Qualcomm Enterprise Services has provided integrated wireless systems and services to transportation and logistics companies around the world. With more than 1.3 million mobile units shipped to businesses in 39 countries on four continents, Qualcomm Enterprise Services delivers the business insight these companies need in order to operate at peak performance and provide superior customer service. Backed by a global, 24/7, world-class technology infrastructure, Qualcomm Enterprise Services is positioned to meet and exceed the increasingly complex and business-critical needs of its more than 2,500 clients with superior customer care and professional services. ABI Research ranked Qualcomm Enterprise Services No. 1 on its bi-annual Commercial Vehicle Telematics Vendor Matrix in three consecutive reports (2010, 2008 and 2006). For more information, please visit us at:
Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ: QCOM) is a world leader in 3G and next-generation mobile technologies. For 25 years, Qualcomm ideas and inventions have driven the evolution of wireless communications, connecting people more closely to information, entertainment and each other. Today, Qualcomm technologies are powering the convergence of mobile communications and consumer electronics, making wireless devices and services more personal, affordable and accessible to people everywhere. For more information, visit Qualcomm around the Web:
Corporate Blog: www.qualcomm.com/blog