Qualcomm and ALK Technologies Announce CoPilot Truck On-Board Navigation Solution for Qualcomm Customers
– March 13, 2011 – Qualcomm Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM), a leading provider of integrated wireless systems, applications and services to transportation and logistics companies, and ALK® Technologies, one of the world’s leading providers of mobile navigation solutions, today announced that ALK’s CoPilot® Truck on-board, truck-specific GPS navigation solution will be available to Qualcomm customers. CoPilot Truck will be the standard navigation application on Qualcomm’s new Mobile Computing Platform 50 (MCP50) and will be one of the navigation options available to fleets with the Mobile Computing Platform 110 (MCP110) and Mobile Computing Platform 200 (MCP200).
CoPilot Truck uses street-level ALK Digital Maps™ of the U.S. and Canada, which are enhanced with PC*MILER truck-specific attributes, to help cost-effectively reduce fuel expense and out-of-route mileage. CoPilot Truck provides drivers with optimal, truck-legal routes based on their vehicle profile information, routing parameters and load-specific information, including hazmat categories. It also offers an easy-to-use, intuitive driver interface with spoken turn-by-turn directions and extensive customization options.
Benefits available to Qualcomm customers include:
• Safe, accurate and truck-legal turn-by-turn navigation;
• Automatic avoidance of truck-restricted routes using customizable vehicle profiles that specify vehicle height, length, width and cargo type (including hazardous materials);
• Route categories including Practical, Shortest, National Network, 53’ Trailer and Toll Avoidance;
• Load-specific routing with 30 hazmat road classes and categories;
• Clearly displayed route restrictions with recognizable warning symbols;
• Driver alerts about upcoming hazards, visual and spoken in-route alerts and instant detour options;
• Millions of Points-of-Interest, including truck-specific categories like truck services, truck stops, rest areas, CAT scales and weigh stations; and
• Operational consistency with PC*MILER customers’ driver pay, rating, billing and fuel tax reporting practices
“We are pleased to be offering ALK’s highly customizable and cost-effective, in-cab navigation application for our customers,” said Norm Ellis, vice president of sales, services and marketing for Qualcomm Enterprise Services. “By collaborating with leading providers of best-in-class technologies, we can offer our customers the most valuable and comprehensive fleet management solutions in the industry.”
“We are excited to collaborate with Qualcomm to bring CoPilot Truck to its substantial customer base,” said Michael Kornhauser, managing director of CoPilot Solutions at ALK Technologies. “By combining Qualcomm’s powerful Mobile Computing Platform Series with our proven truck-specific navigation technology, fleets can dramatically improve operational efficiency and achieve significant productivity gains.”
For more information, please visit www.mcp50.qualcomm.com
About ALK Technologies
Since 1979, ALK Technologies has developed innovative mobile navigation and transportation technology solutions. ALK's award-winning CoPilot Live GPS software is the navigation based services platform of choice for mobile operators, hardware OEMs and systems integrators globally. ALK's PC*MILER routing, mileage and mapping solutions are used by over 22,000 transportation, logistics and manufacturing companies worldwide. For more information on ALK Technologies, visit: www.alk.com or www.alk.eu.com.
About Qualcomm Enterprise Services
Since 1988, Qualcomm Enterprise Services has provided integrated wireless systems and services to transportation and logistics companies around the world. With more than 1.3 million mobile units shipped to businesses in 39 countries on four continents, Qualcomm Enterprise Services delivers the business insight these companies need in order to operate at peak performance and provide superior customer service. Backed by a global, 24/7, world-class technology infrastructure, Qualcomm Enterprise Services is positioned to meet and exceed the increasingly complex and business-critical needs of its more than 2,500 clients with superior customer care and professional services. ABI Research ranked Qualcomm Enterprise Services No. 1 on its bi-annual Commercial Vehicle Telematics Vendor Matrix in three consecutive reports (2010, 2008 and 2006). For more information, please visit us at:
Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ: QCOM) is a world leader in 3G and next-generation mobile technologies. For 25 years, Qualcomm ideas and inventions have driven the evolution of wireless communications, connecting people more closely to information, entertainment and each other. Today, Qualcomm technologies are powering the convergence of mobile communications and consumer electronics, making wireless devices and services more personal, affordable and accessible to people everywhere. For more information, visit Qualcomm around the Web: www.qualcomm.com
Corporate Blog: www.qualcomm.com/blog