A flash fire at a central Kansas business killed one worker and injured another man who tried to help him.
The fire Wednesday at Woodwork Manufacturing in Hutchinson killed 46-year-old Kevin Lewis of Burrton.
Hutchinson fire official Wes Stewart says Lewis was standing on a platform about 12 feet above ground near a sawdust collector when the sawdust suddenly burst into flame. Stewart says Lewis either fell for jumped from the platform.
He suffered burns on well over half his body and died while being treated at Via Christi Hospital-St. Francis in Wichita. The Hutchinson News reports that 48-year-old Randy Cummins of Hutchinson was burned on his hands while trying to help Lewis.
Lewis says the highly combustible sawdust burst into flame when the collector was opened, allowing oxygen in.
Woodwork makes wood molding and doors.
Information from: The Hutchinson News, http://www.hutchnews.com