ASHLAND CITY, Tenn. (AP) -- A Tennessee manufacturer has announced the voluntary recall of gas water heaters due to fire and carbon monoxide hazards.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with Ashland City-based A.O. Smith Water Products Co., said consumers should stop using the water heaters immediately. No incidents or injuries have been reported.
The recall affects about 1,500 units of 75-gallon natural and propane gas water heaters sold by independent contractors and plumbers nationwide from November 2007 through January 2008.
The commission said the water heater's flue gas temperatures can exceed safe limits and produce excessive temperatures in the venting unit, posing a fire hazard. Also the exhaust can leak into the surrounding room, posing a carbon monoxide hazard.
Consumers can get details from A.O. Smith at (866) 880-4661 or www.hotwater.com