Texas Instruments Inc. introduces the industry’s smallest monolithic point-of-load (POL) DC/DC converters for harsh environments, including radiation tolerant, geological, heavy industrial and oil and gas applications. The 6.3-V, 6-A TPS50601 and the 6.3-V, 3-A TPS50301 are synchronous step-down converters optimized for small form factor designs. According to the company, key features and benefits of the TPS50601 and the TPS50301 include:
- Peak efficiency: Best-in-class peak efficiency of up to 95 percent results in lower heat dissipation, compared to competitive devices.
- Design flexibility: 100-kHz to 1-MHz switching frequency and optimized compensation scheme enable designers to make trade-offs between size and efficiency.
- Reduced board space: High efficiency, optimal layout and dynamic bias reduce the size and number of output capacitors, and improve transient response.
- High reliability: The TPS50301 is qualified up to +210°C for high temperature applications, while the TPS50601 is qualified up to +125°C for harsh environments with QMLV/RHA qualifications pending.
- Higher-current operation: Designers can use two devices in parallel to double the output current.