The ABB Low Voltage Products division has released the OVR NE12 enclosed surge-protective device (SPD), designed for protecting valuable equipment from damage caused by transient surges from lightning strikes and surges from upstream equipment and utility load switching. According to the company, the OVR NE 12 is:
- A multistage protector with fast-acting metal oxide varistors (MOV), and an EMI/RFI noise attenuation filter to limit overvoltage to values compatible with the sensitive equipment connected to the network.
- Ideal for critical power facilities, such as hospitals and data centers, renewable energy installations, water and wastewater systems, and other surge-sensitive manufacturing and commercial operations.
- A UL 1449 3rd Edition certified Type 2 SPD contained within a NEMA Type 12 enclosure, designed for installation indoors, on the load side of the main breaker or fuse.
- Equipped with MOV technology, which helps it achieve a high level of protection performance, and also allows for ease of module replacement.
- Supplied with status lights, alarm, auxiliary contacts, EMI filtering, and a fused disconnect.
- Available with an optional surge counter/diagnostic LCD display that records the date and time of surges 2kA and above, in addition to providing enhanced information on unit status.
- Available in three service voltage versions — 240/120VAC Split Phase, 480VAC Delta, and 480Y/277VAC; and two protection levels — 160 and 320kA per phase (Imax).
- Optimally used in addition to ABB OVR DIN rail SPDs at branch panels and equipment, creating a multi-level approach to protection.