Ferrari, Ford Feud Over Car Name

ROME (AP) — Ferrari will only use the full name of its new car for the upcoming Formula One season following a trademark dispute with Ford.

Ferrari unveiled the car last month under the full name "Ferrari F150th Italia," reflecting Italy's celebration in 2011 of the 150th anniversary of the nation's unification.

Ford Motor Co. sued Ferrari in Detroit federal court on Wednesday, contending the Italian racing carmaker had violated its trademark over the pickup truck name F-150.

Ferrari said Thursday in a statement that it hasn't used the abbreviated F150 name commercially but would now only use the full version to try and resolve the dispute.

"(Our car) cannot be confused with other types of commercially available vehicle of any sort whatsoever, nor can it give the impression that there is a link to another brand of road-going vehicle," the statement read. "Therefore it is very difficult to understand Ford's viewpoint on the matter.

"To further prove it is acting in good faith ... in all areas of operation, the abbreviated version will be replaced at all times with the full version, Ferrari F150th Italia."

Ford's response to the statement was not immediately known. Ford had also been seeking unspecified damages from Ferrari.

The Michigan-based carmaker said in the lawsuit that its trademark was being harmed and asked for a judge to block Ferrari from using it in the United States.

Ferrari was the first F1 outfit to show off its 2011 car. The F1 season starts March 13 at the Bahrain Grand Prix in Sakhir.

More