ATLANTA — Five food and pharmaceutical manufacturing facilities were named winners of the 2014 IPM Partner Awards co-presented by Orkin, The IPM Institute of North America and global public health organization NSF International. Now in its 11th year, the IPM Partner Awards honor facilities for their dedication to Integrated Pest Management (IPM) partnerships with Orkin.
“The IPM Partner Awards are significant because they represent what all audited manufacturing facilities should be striving for when it comes to pest management: exemplary adherence to IPM and partnership,” said Orkin Director of Quality Systems Zia Siddiqi, Ph.D. “It is these characteristics that help facilities achieve pest management success.”
IPM is an environmentally responsible pest management approach that emphasizes multiple methods of non-chemical pest control and prevention. The winning facilities were honored for their demonstrated commitment to comprehensive IPM programs that focus on vigilant sanitation, prompt attention to structural pest management recommendations, diligent record keeping and staff participation in IPM training sessions.
The 2014 IPM Partner Awards winners, selected from an elite group of nominees from across the country, are:
- Carolina Beverage Group, LLC (Mooresville, N.C.) – A world-class co-packing producer for numerous national and international beverage brands that has a current capacity of more than 45 million cases annually.
- Petco #300 DC (Stockton, Calif.) and Petco DC #528 (Mira Loma, Calif.) – Two regionally based distribution centers for the leading national pet specialty retailer.
- Shaklee (Groveport, Ohio) – A respected leader in the direct selling industry that, for more than 57 years, has developed scientifically tested, environmentally friendly nutritional and herbal supplements, personal care products, water and air purification systems, and household cleaners.
- The Wright Group (Plain City, Ohio) – A leading provider of customized nutritional blends, premixes and nutritional ingredients to global leaders in the growing functional food and nutritional supplement markets.
Dr. Thomas Green, president of The IPM Institute of America, who serves on the Awards Jury, reinforces the crucial role IPM plays in a sustainable approach to pest management. “A commitment to IPM is a commitment to protecting the environment as well as the health of our food supply,” he said. “At the IPM Institute of North America, our goal is to accelerate the adoption of IPM, and so it is with great pride that we recognize these facilities that have gone above and beyond to achieve IPM excellence and set a great example for other facilities in the industry.”
Also serving on the jury is co-presenter NSF International, which brings food safety knowledge and technical expertise to the program.
“As one of the pillars of food safety, effective pest control must be a priority in the manufacturing industry. The 2014 winners recognize that pest management is not a one-time event but an ongoing process that must adapt and improve over time to be successful,” said James Bail, senior food safety consultant for NSF International, a global public health organization with 70 years of food safety expertise.”
About the Awards Jury
- James L. Bail, senior food safety consultant, NSF International
- Austin Frishman, Ph.D., B.C.E., founder, AMF Pest Management Services, Inc.
- Thomas A. Green, Ph.D., president, The IPM Institute of North America, Inc.
- Ron Harrison, Ph.D., director of technical services, Orkin
- Frank Meek, BCE, international technical and training director, Orkin
- Zia Siddiqi, Ph.D., B.C.E., director of quality systems, Orkin
About Orkin, LLC
Founded in 1901, Atlanta-based Orkin is an industry leader in essential pest control services and protection against termite damage, rodents and insects. The company operates more than 400 locations with almost 8,000 employees. Using a proprietary, three-step approach, Orkin provides customized services to approximately 1.7 million homeowners and businesses in the United States, Canada, Mexico, Europe, South America, Central America, the Middle East, the Caribbean, Asia, the Mediterranean and Africa. Orkin is committed to studying pest biology and applying scientifically proven methods. The company collaborates with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and eight major universities to conduct research and help educate consumers and businesses on pest-related health threats. Learn more about Orkin at http://orkin.com. Orkin is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Rollins Inc. (NYSE: ROL).
About The IPM Institute of North America
The IPM Institute of North America, Inc. is an independent non-profit organization formed in 1998 to foster recognition and rewards in the marketplace for goods and service providers who practice IPM. The Institute’s mission is to leverage the power of the marketplace to improve health and environment through Integrated Pest Management and other sustainable practices. The Institute is a partner with Sysco Corporation on its IPM and Sustainable Agriculture Initiative with its processed fruit and vegetable suppliers, and with potato suppliers to McDonald’s Corporation, and co-leads the US National School IPM Working Group and International IPM Symposium, to be held next in Salt Lake City in March, 2015. The Institute is funded by grants from government, private foundations and industry, memberships and fees for services and programs. Learn more at www.ipminstitute.org.
About NSF International
NSF International is a global independent organization that writes standards, and tests and certifies products for the food, water, health sciences and consumer goods industries to minimize adverse health effects and protect the environment (nsf.org). Founded in 1944, NSF is committed to protecting human health and safety worldwide. Operating in more than 155 countries, NSF is accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) and is a Pan American Health Organization/World Health Organization Collaborating Center on Food Safety, Water Quality and Indoor Environment. The NSF Global Food Division provides expertise and accredited services across all supply chain sectors, from agriculture, produce, processing, distribution and dairy, to seafood, retail and restaurants. NSF is also the leading certifier of foodservice equipment, nonfood compounds and bottled water/beverages.