CHICAGO, Ill. (PRNewswire) — From never-before-seen flavor combinations to globally sourced ingredients to food trucks and more, the 93rd Annual National Restaurant Association Restaurant, Hotel-Motel Show and 5th annual International Wine, Spirits & Beer Eventshowcased the hottest trends driving the restaurant and foodservice industry. This year's Show – which attracted 1,900 exhibitors and more than 61,000 registrants from all 50 states and more than 100 countries – offered a sneak peek into the industry's future.
According to the National Restaurant Association's 2012 Restaurant Industry Forecast , nine out of 10 restaurant operators said their customers are more knowledgeable and sophisticated about food and beverages than ever before. This year's NRA Show was proof positive that the industry has responded to this evolution, as products and services catering to those hungry for the latest trends were prevalent throughout the show floor.
"Our goal with each NRA Show is to create a venue where restaurant industry professionals find the newest technologies, latest equipment and hottest products and services, and we were pleased to see that become a reality once again," said James Balda, chief marketing and communications officer for the National Restaurant Association. "Exhibitors really brought their 'A game' this year, and attendees were buzzing about the non-stop action – from the Robofusion ice cream robot at the Stoelting booth, to the world's largest potato, courtesy of the Idaho Potato Commission. There was undoubtedly something new to do, see and eat at every turn!"
Top trends from the exhibit floor at NRA Show 2012 – held at Chicago's McCormick Place May 5-8 – included:
- Healthful Alternatives: In response to Americans' growing interest in health and nutrition, the Organic and Natural Pavilion featured a host of wholesome, nutritious food products. For example, Mara's Pasta, a 2012 recipient of The NRA Food & Beverage Product Innovation Awards, showcased Maragrain, ™nutritious pasta made from a proprietary non-durum variety of wheat grown for Cook Natural Products. Karoun Dairies, which manufactures Mediterranean specialty cheeses and dairy products, displayed an all natural yogurt drink.
- Premium and Artisan Products: Targeting the evolving tastes of savvy restaurant customers looking for a unique dining experience, premium products were a clear food trend this year. Exhibitors showcased products with non-traditional flavor combinations, customizable offerings and premium ingredients, including SasaPops – another recipient of The NRA Food & Beverage Product Innovation Awards–with its all natural frozen pops in flavors like Pink Guava and Salted Peanut Caramel. FerminIberico, a recipient of the same award in 2011, displayed high-quality cured Iberico and Serrano pork.
- Gluten-Free Products: According to the National Institutes of Health, about one in 100 Americans is affected by celiac disease. As awareness of gluten intolerance is growing, gluten-free products are making their way into the mainstream market, and the NRA Show 2012 exhibit floor featured a range of such products. Venice Bakery, a third-generation pizza manufacturer, offered products such as gluten-free pizza dough and gluten-free focaccia. And proving that the trend has also made its way into the beverage industry, all ciders featured at the International Wine, Spirits & Beer Event, including Angry Orchard and Woodchuck, were gluten-free.
- Food Trucks: Food trucks continue to drive interest, as six in 10 consumers say they would visit a food truck offered by their favorite restaurant, proving that mobile restaurant options aren't a flash-in-the-pan concept. Mobi Munch, a company that manufactures customized food trucks, showcased their services, including a POS platform, menu consultation, brand-building services and truck rental, allowing interested restaurateurs to take advantage of the food truck trend. In addition, six food trucks were exhibiting.
- Ethnic Cuisines and Flavors: Responding to consumers' increasingly global palates, the NRA Show's International Cuisine Pavilion was home to foods from around the globe, providing a one-stop-shop for those looking to satisfy their international curiosities and cravings. Mediterranean Gourmet offered unique products like Traditional Grilled pepper salad from Tunisia and Paella from Spain. Attendees also sampled offerings like Ace Farms USA Inc's roasted seaweed snacks, a staple of Korean diets for thousands of years.
For more information on exhibitors and specialty pavilions, including downloadable photos, videos and the NRA Show blog Floored!, visit www.restaurant.org/show and www.winespiritsbeer.org.
NRA Show 2013 will be held May 18-21 at Chicago's McCormick Place, and the 2013 International Wine, Spirits & Beer Event, held in conjunction with the NRA Show, will take place May 19-20.
The annual National Restaurant Association Restaurant, Hotel-Motel Show is the largest single gathering of restaurant, foodservice and lodging professionals. NRA Show 2013 will be held at May 18-21 at McCormick Place in Chicago. The event attracts 61,000+ attendees and visitors from all 50 states and 100+ countries, and showcases the latest products, services, innovative ideas, up-to-the-minute information about trends and issues and other growth opportunities than any other industry event. For more information, visit the Show website at www.restaurant.org/show, and find the NRA Show on Twitter @NRAShow, Facebook, YouTube and its widely read blog Floored !
Founded in 1919, the National Restaurant Association is the leading business association for the restaurant industry, which comprises 970,000 restaurant and foodservice outlets and a workforce of nearly 13 million employees. We represent the industry in Washington, D.C., and advocate on its behalf. We operate the industry's largest trade show (NRA Show May 18-21, 2013, in Chicago); leading food safety training and certification program (ServSafe); unique career-building high school program (the NRAEF's ProStart, including the National ProStart Invitational April 19-21, 2013, in Baltimore, Md.); as well as the Kids LiveWell program promoting healthful kids' menu options. For more information, visit www.restaurant.org and find us on Twitter @WeRRestaurants, Facebook and YouTube.