TORONTO (CANADIAN PRESS) — Will Canadians be dipping their bread in or dressing their salads with coconut vinegar next year?
The food item was named among the top 10 Most Innovative Products for 2013 during Grocery Innovations Canada on Tuesday.
Canadian grocers and industry delegates voted on the innovative products at the grocery industry conference and trade show. Attendees had the chance to test and review hundreds of new products for the year ahead.
Products were evaluated based on three criteria: most unique, most buzzworthy and best consumer response.
In no particular order, the top 10 products are:
- MiO Liquid Water Enhancer, which allows users to customize and infuse water with sugar-free flavours like fruit punch and sweet tea (Kraft Foods Inc.) www.kraftbrands.com/mio
- Duncan Hines Red Velvet Cake Mix (Acosta Canada) www.duncanhines.com
- Stock First, a new line of chicken stock and beef stock (Campbell’s) www.cookwithcampbells.ca
- Arvum balsamic cream of sherry vinegar (La Carrera)
- Coconut Vinegar (Organika) www.facebook.com/OrganikaHealth
- E6 Energy Strips, strips containing caffeine that dissolve when placed on the tongue (Simcoe Asia Group) www.e6energy.com/strips
- Take Home, Bake Fresh Products from Koko Patisserie, a Regina-based company specializing in artisanal pastries, treats and cakes (Koko Patisserie) www.kokopatisserie.com
- TO Tablex, a spring-loaded, pull-tab system used for shelving (Tablex ) www.tablex.ca
- Buitoni Pizza (Nestle) www.nestle.ca
- Belvita Breakfast Biscuits (Kraft Foods Inc.)www.belvitabreakfast.com
"Many people see this event as the grocery store for the grocery industry,"John Scott, president and CEO of the Canadian Federation of Independent Grocers said in a release.
"This year’s event was filled with new and unique products that consumers will see more of in the coming year. Our voting members and delegates had a tough decision to make, but they have chosen some truly outstanding products."