CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — A chef and assistant from China died after eating poisonous mushrooms in a meal they prepared for a private dinner at a restaurant in Australia's capital.
Chef Liu Jun, 38, and his female kitchen hand Tsou Hsiang, 52, died from liver failure at a hospital Tuesday night after eating death cap mushrooms on New Year's Eve at Canberra's Harmonie German Club.
The two prepared the deadly stir fry in the kitchen of the club's Chinese bistro, but club manager Mick Thamer said Friday that the meal had not been available to the public.
Liu's friend Tom O'Dea said the chef picked the mushrooms himself, mistaking them for edible straw mushrooms.
A third person who shared the dinner with Liu and Tsou was discharged from hospital Tuesday.