EVENT: 2010 Kavli Prize Science Forum
WHEN: Monday, September 6, 3:00 - 6:00 PM (CEST)
WHERE: Gamle Festsal, Oslo University - OSLO, NORWAY
WHAT: Global leaders critical to shaping science policy in the US, Europe and Asia will gather in Oslo for the first Kavli Prize Science Forum - a new biennial international meeting to facilitate high-level, global discussion of major topics on science and science policy. The theme of the inaugural Forum is "The Role of International Cooperation in Science."
The Forum will include keynote addresses by John P. Holdren, Science Advisor to President Barack Obama and Director of the Office of Science and Technology Policy, Executive Office of the President, and Ernst-Ludwig Winnacker, Secretary General of the Human Frontier Science Program and the first Secretary General of the European Research Council. Opening remarks will be presented by Jonas Gahr Støre, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Norway.
Holdren and Winnacker will join a panel discussion that includes:
- Ralph J. Cicerone, President, US National Academy of Sciences
- Herbert Jaeckle, Vice President, Max Planck Society
- Ichiro Kanazawa, President, Science Council of Japan
- Yongxiang Lu, President, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Martin Rees, President, The Royal Society, United Kingdom
- Nils Christian Stenseth, President, Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters
- Charles M. Vest, President, US National Academy of Engineering
The Forum is part of Kavli Prize Week (Sept. 6-9), which includes the Kavli Prize Symposia and the Kavli Prize Ceremony and Banquet, held in honor of the 2010 Kavli Prize laureates.