SAN FRANCISCO, CA - (May 17, 2010) - In the Opening Session of the American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists' (AAPS) 2010 National Biotechnology Conference, AAPS President Danny D. Shen, Ph.D., presented the following ground-breaking researchers with awards commemorating their contributions to the pharmaceutical sciences:
Excellence in Ligand-Binding Assay Award -
Sponsored by Millipore
- From ANP Technologies, Inc.: Ray Yin; Yli Vallejo; Jing Pan, Ph.D.; Thomas Small; Dujie Qin; Dave Chen From Merck & Co., Inc.: Cindy Pauley; Catherine Kaplansky; Thorsten Verch, Ph.D.; Ray Bakhtiar, Ph.D.- "NIDS® Rapid Assays for the Detection of Anti-Drug Antibodies to Peptide Drugs"
Innovation in Biotechnology Awards -
Sponsored by Genentech
- From Amgen Inc.: Todd Hager; Hossein Salimi-Moosavi, Ph.D.; Binodh DeSilva, Ph.D.- "A Multi-ELISA Approach for Evaluation In Vivo Stability of Recombinant Fusion Proteins"
- From University of Massachusetts Medical School: Hongwei Zhang, Ph.D.; Bin Yang, Ph.D.; Guangping Gao- "Global Transgene Expression in Mouse Brain by Intravenous Administration of Recombinant AAV Serotypes"
- From Central Michigan University: Ajit Sharma, Ph.D.; Choon Young Lee, Ph.D.; Rebecca L. Uzarski, Ph.D.; Samik Upadhaya; Jae Cheong; Julie Nelson- "Potent Dendritic Antioxidants Without Pro-oxidant Activity"
- From EpiVax, Inc.: Annie De Groot, Ph.D.; Janet Buhlmann; Leonard Moise; From Brigham and Women's Hospital & Children's Hospital Boston: Nader Najafian, Francesca D'Addio; Mohammed Sayegh. From Children's Hospital of Philadelphia: Katherine High; Daniel Hui, Federico Mingozzi. From the Institute for Immunology and Informatics, University of Rhode Island: Leslie De Groot. From University of Maryland: Achsah Keegan; David Scott, Ph.D.- "Preclinical Design of Less Immunogenic Biologics: Tregitopes and Tolerance"
Biotechnology Graduate Student Symposium Awards -
Sponsored by Eli Lilly and Company
NOTE: The Graduate Student Symposium will take place on Wednesday, May 19 at noon in Yosemite Rooms AB and C of the Hilton San Francisco Union Square.
- Yunching Chen - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill "Nanoparticles Delivering siRNA and Doxorubicin Overcome Drug Resistance in Cancer"
- Ying He - University of Illinois at Chicago "Regulation of Opioid Tolerance by Let-7 microRNAs Targeting the Human and Mouse µ Opioid Receptors"
- Jithesh Velichamthotu Veetil - University of Arkansas, Fayetteville "Glucose Binding Protein Based Nanosensors as a Versatile Platform for Developing Reagentless Biosensors for Continuous Monitoring of Intracellular and in Vitro Glucose Levels"
- Zhe Wang - National University of Singapore "RGD Peptide Modified Nanoparticulated Combinatorial Delivery System of Paclitaxel and Combretastatin A4 for Anticancer and Antivasculature Activities"