Durable Goods Orders Up in May
This morning the Census Bureau released the report on May Manufacturers’ Shipments, Inventories and Orders. After a decrease in April new orders for manufactured goods increased 0.8 percent or by $3.5 billion. However, the report had some concerning news in that new orders for manufactured nondurable goods decreased 0.2 percent or $0.4 billion.
Additional numbers from the May report:
- Shipments increased 0.1 percent or $0.4 billion.
- Inventories increased 0.8 percent or $4.5 billion.
- New orders for manufactured durable goods increased 2.1 percent or $4.0 billion.
- Shipments of manufactured durable goods increased 0.4 percent or $0.9 billion.
- Inventories of manufactured durable goods increased 1.3 percent or $356.1 billion.
- Inventories of manufactured nondurable goods decreased by 0.1 percent or $0.2 billion.