Manufacturing, Supply Chains Disrupted by Tornadoes
The National Association of Manufacturers has many member companies in the affected regions in Alabama and other regions hit so destructively by the tornadoes and our thoughts go out to them, their employees and families — and to all those who have suffered a loss.
President Obama’s travels to region today having vowed to bring the federal government’s resources to bear. Both his visit and commitment of aid are very welcome.
The damage to manufacturing operations and supply chains is also a serious concern. Here’s what the media are reporting:
Associated Press, “Twisters a new blow to fragile economy“:
WASHINGTON — The tornadoes that swept the South caused widespread power outages, shut down several manufacturing plants and could disrupt the region’s fragile economic recovery…Boeing, Northrop Grumman, Toyota and Mercedes idled plants in Alabama, mostly because the factories lost power, and the plants likely will reopen within days.
AutoWeek.com, “Tornadoes halt output at Mercedes, Toyota plants in South“:
A Mercedes plant spokeswoman was quoted in the Tuscaloosa News earlier today saying that Mercedes had halted operations because suppliers were unable to deliver parts due to the storms. In some areas, highway exit ramps were damaged and closed.
As of this afternoon, the Mercedes plant had not resumed operations and a spokeswoman told Automotive News it would remain down Friday.
The same weather ripped down utility lines as far north as Huntsville, Ala., where Toyota operates a key U.S. engine plant. Toyota spokesman Mike Goss said today the engine plant stopped work Wednesday night when it lost power. He said the power could be out at least through the weekend.
More coverage …
- TruckingInfo, “Truckstop, Trucking Companies Hit in Southern Tornadoes“
- Birmingham News (blog), “Alabama tornadoes: Small stores, big industry hit by storms“
- Montgomery Advertiser, “Chicken deaths leave state poultry industry reeling” (An estimated five million chickens were killed)
- Reuters, “Tornado, storms batter Alabama coal mine“
- Birmingham News, “Alabama tornadoes: Storms caused major damage to state’s agriculture infrastructure, Alabama Farmers Federation says“