The Food Channel has been predicting the next year’s food trends for 23 years. Of particular interest to food manufacturers would be #6: Small is the new big business. Here’s this year’s list:
1. The Canning Comeback: Canning is gaining popularity due to economic and health concerns.
2. Men In Aprons: Layoffs have led to more men cooking.
3. Local Somewhere: Consumers are looking for hand-grown, no matter where it’s grown.
4. Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell: We’re tired of being told where we can eat.
5. Appetite For Food Apps: We’re using apps for recipes and coupon sources.
6. Small Is New Big Business: Corporations are thinking like small businesses.
7. Fresh Every Day: Rooftop gardens are part of this trend.
8. Chefs In Schools: Chefs are serving better flavors and more nutrition.
9. Discomfort Foods: Change makes us comfortable with more change.
10. Eating For Sex And Other Things: We’re working longer, so apparently we need more energy in certain departments.